Monday 3 September 2012

Review: The Assassin and the Underworld


Title: The Assassin and the Underworld (A Throne of Glass Novella 0.3)
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Publication Date: May 1 2012
Publisher: Bloomsbury
ISBN: N/A
Length: 92 Pages
Link to SynopsisGoodreads
Source: Purchased (Kindle Edition)
Buy ItAmazon US / Amazon UK

My Rating: 4 Stars

I am surprised at how long it took me to finish this little novella.  It is not a reflection on the book itself necessary, as I did like it but I just couldn't get really excited about it.

At the end of the last novella Celaena was leaving the red desert and heading back to Adarlan in order to pay off her debt and leave the services of her master, Arobynn Hamel.  She had also thought through some of her feelings about Sam and was looking forward to seeing him again.  So... we start this novella and what happens?  She doesn't leave Arobynn Hamel (who in the last book had done enough to warrant her services as an assassin let alone not wanting to work for him any more) and then she goes back to arguing with Sam and treating him like dirt. What?  Did I miss something? 

Even though I felt the storyline took a bit more to get into than with the previous two novellas I still think they are important to read in order to get the full back story of Celaena.  However, I do maintain that the full novel, Throne of Glass, should be read first.  I am still a bit iffy about Celaena's attitude in these.  She seems so humble in Throne of Glass although I'm sure that attitude is going to come from the events of the final novella and the year she spent in the prison of the salt mines.  I am still unsure if I would have liked her as much as I did in Throne of Glass if I would have read these first.

There is quite a bit of character development toward the end of the novella and we see some characters for  who and what they really are. I mean we did already know but it was nice for some actions to come to light so that everybody is now on the same page.

I am also missing Prince Dorian and Chaol but as she does not properly meet them until the full novel I knew they would not be a part of these novellas.   Now with that said, how excited was I when Celaena is at a party and they make a surprise visit?  Nothing was confirmed by names but you know while you are reading it that it is the pair of them and I couldn't stop smiling.  It was quite pathetic how excited I got over the maybe half a page that they showed up.  But I do really love them both so it was a lovely little surprise to see them.

I am now off to start the final novella and will be able to have that review up and posted soon. Then it will just be the wait until book 2 is out sometime next year.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, I don't think I realized there were novellas afoot. I'm going to have to check these out. I really, really loved Throne of Glass and I'm dying for more Celaena. Thanks for featuring this! Nice review.

    C.J.
    Sarcasm&Lemons

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review but I think I would be really frustrated by this book (plus I haven't read any of the previous ones).

    Lainy http://www.alwaysreading.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. How many novellas are there? Do you suggest reading them before Throne of Glass?
    You have gotten me excited to read TOG, I had a few bad things about in reviews. The premise sounds FABULOUS though.
    I am still going to check it out.
    I am going to try to widget code u sent me :) Cant wait to see my cursor :)
    Hope you had a great Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! There are four novellas in total and I suggest reading the full novel first. This is how I did it and I really liked going back to learn more about Celaena. She really is a bit bratty in the novellas and I am unsure if I would have loved her as much if I read those first. She did a lot of growing up between the last novella and the full novel. But I do suggest them all, they really are great reads. :)

      Delete
  4. I just finished reading Throne of Glass (Review to come soon) but yet to read the Novellas! Looking forward to getting my hands on them :)

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. New follower on GFC :)

    I would like to invite you to my Blog for some Trivia Fun!
    Please stop by at :: http://bit.ly/O52GJJ

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you have to say! I read and try to respond to every single comment I receive. Knowing there are people out there reading is what makes this all worth it... : )