Saturday 27 October 2012

Review: Crewel


Incapable.  Awkward.  Artless.

That’s what the other girls whisper behind her back. But sixteen year-old Adelice Lewys has a secret: she wants to fail.

Gifted with the ability to weave time with matter, she’s exactly what the Guild is looking for, and in the world of Arras, being chosen as a Spinster is everything a girl could want. It means privilege, eternal beauty, and being something other than a secretary. It also means the power to embroider the very fabric of life. But if controlling what people eat, where they live and how many children they have is the price of having it all, Adelice isn’t interested.

Not that her feelings matter, because she slipped and wove a moment at testing, and they’re coming for her—tonight.

Now she has one hour to eat her mom’s overcooked pot roast. One hour to listen to her sister’s academy gossip and laugh at her Dad’s stupid jokes. One hour to pretend everything’s okay. And one hour to escape.

Because once you become a Spinster, there’s no turning back.

Title: Crewel (Crewel World ~ Book 1)
Author: Gennifer Albin
Publication Date: October 16 2012
Publisher: Faber and Faber
ISBN: 0374316414
Length: 368 Pages
Add it to your TBR PileGoodreads
Buy ItAmazon US / Amazon UK

Source: Direct from Publisher via NetGalley
Cover Love: Breathtaking! Fits the novel perfectly...
Point of View: 1st person, following Adelice

My Rating: 5 Stars

There is no way possible that I can write a review of Crewel that even comes close to describing how unique and creative this book is.

This is the first novel by Gennifer Albin and I have to say she has some major skills!  The world building that takes place is quite impressive.  It is also a very s-l-o-w build... there are so many layers and Albin doesn't give up all of Crewel's secrets straight away which creates a beautifully woven story.  Not that this story is slow, it is actually quite the opposite.  I was surprised at how quickly I had feelings for the characters.  I understood the emotions they were feelings and was feeling them also.  I had many surprised moments while reading and I love when that happens!  I never felt complacent as the story was always twisting and turning.

Adelice is a strong character.  Not in a 'she can kick your ass' kind of way but she is smart, makes good decisions and doesn't have to rely on others to get things completed.  I really love her for that.  She has to face a lot and stays strong. Yes she has her moments of 'why bother' but honestly if I had to go through what she is having to face I would have crumbled a long time ago.

There is a love triangle... I know, I know that puts a lot of people off but trust me it is not all that bad.  The boys in question are Jost and Erik and I do like them both.  Of course I have a favorite but I don't want to join a Team just yet.  I shall let you all read it and come to your own conclusions about them both.  At first I sighed because I thought it was all a bit 'instant love' but then if you think about the circumstances it really isn't.  This is a world where the girls are segregated from the boys until 16 years of age.  Then testing takes place to see if you have what it takes to be a weaver.  If you fail at testing you are then given a profession and you will have access to the pamphlets which will show you the eligible boys that are ready for marriage. This is how you meet your future husband.  So when Adelice is taken to the coventry for her weaver training and there are two boys there who show her attention she has never received before.  So I can see how emotions are heightened and I would not call this 'instant' love at all.

This is honestly one of those books that if you go into too much detail with the review you will inevitably have spoilers and I want to do my best to avoid that.  I want this to be as fresh and creative for you when you read it as it was for me when I did.

There is no date yet announced for book two in the series but I for one will be on the look out and will be reading it upon release!  It is not that this book ended with a huge cliffhanger but more of a place where there is going to be an eager anticipation to see where we are taken next.  I can't wait...


5 comments:

  1. I am actually reading the book right now and I agree with you the world building is amazing.
    Great Review! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really think the author has done well in the world she created.. very nicely done. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you liked Crewel. It just didn't do it for me.. I felt the author's imagination was exceptional but not the writing or the character sketches. I just didn't think there was a need to have yet another love triangle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no... I guess we can't all love the same things or else the world would be a very dull place. But I do wish you would have enjoyed it also. :) I agree though that I didn't use to mind a good love triangle but lately I am starting to despise them a bit. If they are well written then I can let them slide. I never really saw this one as that 'strong' so I think that is why it didn't bother me a lot.

      Delete
  3. I am happy to tell you the arc for book 2 is out in June so it's not that much longer now. I loved Crewel! I can't wait for book 2! The part where's she's forced to weave w/ the "razor" wire was intense!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you have to say! I read and try to respond to every single comment I receive. Knowing there are people out there reading is what makes this all worth it... : )