Monday 5 November 2012

Review: Crescendo


Nora Grey's life is still far from perfect. Surviving an attempt on her life wasn't pleasant, but at least she got a guardian angel out of it. A mysterious, magnetic, gorgeous guardian angel. But despite his role in her life, Patch has been acting anything but angelic. He's more elusive than ever (if that's possible) and what's worse, he seems to be spending time with Nora's archenemy, Marcie Millar.

Nora would have hardly noticed Scott Parnell, an old family friend who has moved back to town, if Patch hadn't been acting so distant. Even with Scott's totally infuriating attitude, Nora finds herself drawn to him - despite her lingering feelings that he is hiding something.

If that weren't enough, Nora is haunted by images of her murdered father, and comes to question whether her Nephilim bloodline has anything to do with his death. Desperate to figure out what happened, she puts herself in increasingly dangerous situations to get the answer. But maybe some things are better left buried, because the truth could destroy everything - and everyone - she trusts.

Title: Crescendo (Hush, Hush ~ Book 2)
Author: Becca Fitzpatrick
Publication Date: October 19 2010
Publisher: Simon & Schuster 
Length: 437 Pages
Add it to your TBR PileGoodreads
Buy ItAmazon US / Amazon UK

Source: Purchased (Kindle Edition)
Cover Love: I love the gray tones used in this series, with just the hint of red.
Point of View: 1st person, following Nora

My Rating: 4 Stars

Hhhmmmm.... I have to admit that I am so confused about my feelings for Crescendo.  I experienced a wide range of emotions while reading it, that's for sure.  When I keep thinking about it New Moon keeps coming into my mind.  It's just... when I read Twilight for the first time I loved it.  Thankfully I was coming to the Twihard party a little late and could immediately start New Moon without the dreaded long wait.  I was so excited to get started and then 'it' happened.  Edward left.  What?!?  How is that even possible?  In the end I liked New Moon but it was never my favorite because the character I had fallen in love with was hardly in it.  I am getting the same feelings about Crescendo, let me explain.

Crescendo starts off pretty much right after Hush, Hush.  I think only a few weeks have passed and I do enjoy that with a series.  The last thing you want to do is find out years have gone by and you weren't a part of any of it.  Patch and Nora are happy, all is right in the world.  Then Patch starts to pull away, they break up, Nora says horrible things to him, he starts spending time with another girl...  UGH!  So even though Patch is still here it wasn't the same chemistry as in Hush, Hush.  I liked the way they communicated with each other before, the playfulness, the flirting, etc...  Now every time they were in the same room together it was about 'How can I hurt him/her, like they are hurting me?'.  This was cholk-full of backwards and forwards between them both.

Remember how I said in my review of Hush, Hush that Nora didn't make a lot of silly decisions?  Well scratch that.  She has gone and lost her mind here!  I just did not follow some of the brainwaves she was putting out there.  And Patch, oh Patch.  I kinda figured out why he was spending time with this other girl (I don't want to give too much away) but I just wanted everything to be happy again.  I know people go through rough times and it is not always happy go lucky but I just felt the overwhelming need to sit Nora and Patch down in a room together to force them to talk to each other.  Enough with the backwards and forwards, enough with the jealousy.  Just sit and TALK to each other.

Besides Nora and Patch we do get to know a few of the previous side characters a bit more in this book, those being Marcie and Rixon.  There is also a new character, Scott.  He and Nora used to know each other when they were younger, their families were friends.  His family had moved away but now after his parent's divorce he and his mother are back in town.  I liked Scott's character to be honest.  His true intentions left me guessing and I really hadn't made up my mind on if he was a good guy or a bad guy till it was all revealed in the end.  I had mentioned that in Hush, Hush I was not a big fan of Vee.  I am happy to say that I have started to warm to her a little.  I still think she is a bit too pushy and obnoxious but I didn't find myself wanting to punch her as often so that must be progress.

Now, with all of this said you may be asking why I have still given Crescendo four stars when I didn't like it as much as Hush, Hush?  Because at the end of the day it was still a very enjoyable read and the last 30% was unputdownable.  I honestly do not not believe I could have put my Kindle down if I wanted to.  I was shocked twice, yes you read that correctly.  Twice!  I love it when that happens, you are going along and BAM right there everything changes.  Then to have it done again, very nice.

The ending was a huge shock!  I mean honestly, what a cliffhanger.  Thankfully I can immediately start Silence.  I have mixed feelings about not starting this series when it first came out, yes it would have been great to read then but when it comes to cliffhangers it is nice to have the next book to start right away.

“They said the moment I fell in love with you was the moment you'd leave.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say! I read and try to respond to every single comment I receive. Knowing there are people out there reading is what makes this all worth it... : )