Monday 3 December 2012

Review: Elixir


Aiden's novella

Aiden St. Delphi will do anything to save Alex.

Even if it means doing the one thing he will never forgive himself for.  Even if it means making war against the gods.




Title: Elixir (Covenant ~ Book 3.5)
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publication Date: November 27 2012
Publisher: Spencer Hill Press
Length: 75 Pages
Add it to your TBR PileGoodreads
Buy ItAmazon US / Amazon UK

Source: Purchased (Kindle Edition) however at the time of this review you can get a free copy from the publisher's website, HERE
Cover Love: Branches out from the 'glowing' flowers but the liquid flower fits the story perfectly!
Point of View: 1st person, following Aiden

My Rating: 5 Stars

*****SPOILER ALERT*****

There is absolutely no way to write a review about this novella and not give away major plot points and spoilers from the previous books.  So please if you have not yet read Deity do not read this review as it will give the game away.  You have been warned!

I am not usually a fan of novellas.  They are just so short that it is hard to get enough story to sink your teeth into but I can not say that holds true for Elixir.  It is only 75 pages long and I can easily admit that I cried at least twice!  That is what Armentrout's writing does to me.  A person shouldn't be able to put so much emotion into 75 pages... but thankfully she can and hopefully her writing will continue to be this great.  Honestly I am in awe with her as an author and if I heard she obtained a job writing for the Yellow Pages I would probably be out in search of those to read also.  Simply amazing.

So as previously pointed out you should only be reading this review if you have read Deity and in that case you know how it ended!?  What an ending... it honestly left me gasping.  Elixir picks up right after 'that' ending.  Alex has been locked away and Aiden is doing his best to watch over her and trying to get her to break the connection with Seth.  Let me just say she is pure evil and says some pretty nasty things during this time, I am just glad that Aiden loves her because most men would just be like 'see ya later'.

Apollo is off searching and trying to find a way to help break the connection but they are all running out of time because the Gods fear Seth and they want to go to war to stop those who are standing with him.  The only way Apollo can buy more time is to convince Aiden that they need to give Alex the elixir.  Of course this is the last thing he wants to do but in the end he knows it is the only way right now because she is not eating or sleeping and eventually she will find out where they are and Seth will be there to get her.  The elixir will break the connection but it will also make her a shell of a person.  How can he live with himself if he allows this to happen?

Being inside Aiden's head is always a joy! Armentrout is a rock star when it comes to writing extra scenes from other characters perspectives and Aiden is no exception (you can find these extra/deleted scenes HERE).  So this is not the first time we have been in his head but it is the longest that we have been there.  He is just such a lovable character!  There are a lot of swoon-worthy boys out there in the YA book world but I must say that Aiden is right up there with the best of them.  He is fiercely loyal and it is obvious that nothing is ever going to change that.   The love he has for Alex is breathtaking and I challenge anybody who is on Team Seth to read Elixir and not fall for Aiden even a little bit.  I would think it would be impossible.

So now begins the wait.  April 9th, 2013 is when Apollyon is due to be published.  I will be going into work tomorrow to request that day off because there is no way I would be able to be at work knowing that it is on my Kindle ready to read.  I will need to start it as soon as possible!

“Apollo had said he knew what this kind of love was capable of.  And I finally understood why Paris had risked his country and his blood for Helen.  Selfish, yes, but I understood.  I would burn the world if that meant Alex would be safe.”


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say! I read and try to respond to every single comment I receive. Knowing there are people out there reading is what makes this all worth it... : )