Monday 24 December 2012

Review: Hopeless


Sometimes discovering the truth can leave you more hopeless than believing the lies…

That’s what seventeen-year-old Sky realizes after she meets Dean Holder. A guy with a reputation that rivals her own and an uncanny ability to invoke feelings in her she’s never had before. He terrifies her and captivates her all in the span of just one encounter, and something about the way he makes her feel sparks buried memories from a past that she wishes could just stay buried.

Sky struggles to keep him at a distance knowing he’s nothing but trouble, but Holder insists on learning everything about her. After finally caving to his unwavering pursuit, Sky soon finds that Holder isn’t at all who he’s been claiming to be. When the secrets he’s been keeping are finally revealed, every single facet of Sky’s life will change forever.

Title: Hopeless
Author: Colleen Hoover
Publication Date: December 17 2012
Publisher: Self Published 
Length: 391 Pages
Add it to your TBR PileGoodreads
Buy ItAmazon US / Amazon UK

Source: Purchased (Kindle Edition)
Cover Love: Perfect, absolutely perfect.
Point of View: 1st person, following Sky

My Rating: 5 Stars

“The sky is always beautiful.  Even when it's dark or rainy or cloudy, it's still beautiful to look at... it'll be there no matter what... and I know it'll always be beautiful.”

Wow.  I feel like I have been saying this a lot lately but just... Wow.  I have been fortunate enough to read some really amazing books in 2012 and I feel like I have been handing out 5 Stars reviews like they are candy but the level of writing that I have been reading has been deserving of that praise.  Hopeless is no exception and for me it is right up there with the best of the best of this year.  This book was simply amazing.

This is the first Colleen Hoover book that I have read and I can guarantee you that it will not be the last.  I will be honest in saying that I didn't know what to expect when starting this book.  I had just finished another book and while I was writing that review I noticed a few of my friends on Goodreads talking about Hopeless.  I had never heard of it before but by the time I was finished with that other review I had made the decision to make it my next read.  I had only read the synopsis and not any of the other reviews and I am so very glad I did that.  Going into this book blind is the best way to experience everything it has to offer.

Everything in this book was amazing.  The characters, the romance, the story, the history, the twists, the turns, the revelations... just everything.

I have fallen in love with Linden Sky and Dean Holder.  The chemistry between them is sizzling.  There are a lot of special moments between these two but honestly... see, I don't even know the words to use to describe them.  And the romance, wow.  Let me just say right now, they experience the best first non kiss in the history of non kisses.  It left me breathless.  I read a lot of books and I have read a lot of romantic situations but just wow.  I know I keep saying that word over and over but there is nothing else I can say.  I refuse to give any of this book away in this review because I want every single person to read it for themselves so for now you will need to make do with wow and just trust me.

Usually in my reviews I try to summarize everything but I even refuse to do that.  I don't want there to be spoilers, or hints or anything of that nature.  To say I was shocked more than once while reading is an understatement.  As soon as something would happen I would sit and assess the situation and think 'right, okay now where do we go from here'.  Then something else would happen and I would be stunned all over again.  Okay, that's enough... I feel by even saying this much that I'm doing the book an injustice by saying there are shocking moments.

My only hope is that this review has been intriguing and vague enough for everybody to be persuaded to read it.  Quickly.  Don't wait, push your To Be Read lists aside and read this book.  My friends call me their 'Book Pusher' and in this case they will be right.  I'm not usually this bossy though... see this is what an amazingly good book does to me.  It makes me want to shout it from the rooftop and blast the message from my car radio while driving around the neighborhood... 'Read Hopeless as soon as possible.'

“Sky, I'm not kissing you tonight but believe me when I tell you, I've never wanted to kiss a girl more.  So stop thinking I'm not attracted to you because you have no idea just how much I am.  You can hold my hand, you can run your fingers through my hair, you can straddle me while I feed you spaghetti, but you are not getting kissed tonight.  And probably not tomorrow, either.  I need this.  I need to know for sure that you're feeling every single thing that I'm feeling the moment my lips touch yours.  Because I want your first kiss to be the best first kiss in the history of first kisses.”

2 comments:

  1. Great Review! I just finished Hopeless myself and I really enjoyed it. I really liked all that build-up before their first kiss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! Loved Loved Loved this book!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you have to say! I read and try to respond to every single comment I receive. Knowing there are people out there reading is what makes this all worth it... : )