Thursday 20 December 2012

Review: Until I Die


Kate and Vincent have overcome the odds and at last they are together in Paris, the city of lights and love.

As their romance deepens there’s one question they can’t ignore: How are they supposed to be together if Vincent can’t resist sacrificing himself to save others? Although Vincent promises that he’ll do whatever it takes to lead a normal life with Kate, will that mean letting innocent people die? When a new and surprising enemy reveals itself, Kate realizes that even more may be at stake—and that Vincent’s immortality is in jeopardy.

In Die for Me, Amy Plum created a captivating paranormal mythology with immortal revenants and a lush Paris setting.

Title: Until I Die (Revenants ~ Book 2)
Author: Amy Plum
Publication Date: May 08 2012
Publisher: HarperCollins
ISBN: 0062004042
Length: 357 Pages
Add it to your TBR PileGoodreads
Buy ItAmazon US / Amazon UK

Source: Purchased (Kindle Edition)
Cover Love: Beautiful and fits in with the series perfectly, I love the blues and purples.
Point of View: 1st person, following Kate

My Rating: 5 Stars

oooOOOooohhh how I enjoyed this book!  Sometimes book two of a trilogy can be a bit tricky to navigate.  We are no longer starting out the story so you don't get the anticipation of all of the firsts that the characters are going to experience and the fun of meeting all of the new people.  But then it is also not the final book so we know not everything is going to be wrapped up with a cute little bow.

I thought Until I Die was an excellent middle book.  This is the book for gaining information, seeing where the story is going to lead... it did an excellent job and even threw in quite a bit of suspense and action.

I really warmed to Kate in this book.  I admitted in my review for Die for Me that she was not my favorite person all of the time.  She was so forwards and backwards, I was getting whiplash.  But here she really came into her own.  In fact I can even say she was pretty kick ass.  She is learning to fight with the help of Gaspard and Vincent and she is a natural talent.  It has only been a short space of time but I really think she has grown into her character.  I won't say I absolutely love her yet but it is getting there.

However Vincent is as loveable as ever, if not more so than in book one.  I simply adore him.  He is such a gentleman and knows exactly how to take care of Kate.  Meaning, he is always there to help her but he doesn't run in to push her aside so he can save the day.  Of course he worries about her, because he loves her, but he isn't an over macho alpha male that thinks she can't handle herself.  He lets her fight when she needs to and only steps in when she obviously needs help.  I really like this about his character.  It shows he has grown over his many years because from the age he is actually from it was a very different time and you would think his overall attitude would be different.  This just shows how great he is.

Until I Die is ultimately about Kate and Vincent trying to find a way to be together.  They are 'together' but they know this is not going to be forever.  Vincent is trying to find way to resist the urge to die and in doing this he will be able to age along side Kate.  Kate knows this is a lot to ask of him and smartly comes to the conclusion that it is not only her that this would effect.  Vincent is a being that saves humans, this is his sole purpose.  What if he didn't do the right thing in a moment's notice and that split second meant the person he was to save actually dies.  How would she live with this... how would Vincent live with this?  Vincent thinks he has found a way to prevent his urges but wants to keep it a secret until he can see if it works.  In the time being Kate goes out on her own to search for more answers and to find a way to help their situation.

Pretty much the same cast of characters are still around however there are a couple of new faces, Violette and Arthur.  They are old, as in old old.  They have joined Vincent's kindred in Paris because the Numa (aka bad guys) have disappeared and they all know that they are up to something.  Since these two have been around for so long they have a lot of connections so they have been brought in to see if they can help.  From the moment they enter the scene you are trying to guess if they are good, or if they are bad.  But... there won't be any spoilers here.

In my review of Die for Me I mentioned the possible love triangle (gasp) between Vincent, Kate and Jules.  Again we see more affection from Jules toward Kate but nothing really concrete.  However, I have noticed that there is a novella from Jules' POV, Die for Her, that is due out in April 2013.  So this would leave me to believe that any big revelations in this department will come out in that novella or in the final book.  I do love Jules and I hope that his character is not ruined for me or left unhappy.  I really want him to get his own happily ever after.

So, do you know what else a second book in a trilogy is known for?  Yep you guessed it.  A cliffhanger!  And man oh man is this a huge one!  I sat there at the end and just stared at the page for a few minutes.  In fact I have to say I was on the edge of my seat for the whole of the last 15% - 20%.  Again I refuse to put in any spoilers and I even hate voicing my thoughts about certain subjects because I don't want to give anything away or put thoughts in people's minds before they read the series.  But I have to say that I really have a strong suspicion about what may ultimately happen in this series and just thinking about it gives me a fresh wave of butterflies...  I can't wait to find out how it all ends.

How long do we have to wait you ask?  Well, after Jules' novella in April it appears that book three, If I Should Die, is due out on May 7th 2013.  So really there isn't that long a wait.  Of course I would rather have it here right now to start but since I don't I will just add these two to my trusty book release calendar.

“But now I have something that blows that feeling out of the water.  Every time I need a hit of joy, I think about you.  You are my solace, Kate.  Just knowing that you are in this world, everything makes sense.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say! I read and try to respond to every single comment I receive. Knowing there are people out there reading is what makes this all worth it... : )