Sunday 13 January 2013

Book Blogger Spotlight: Natalie Reads Books



Natalie Reads Books

Hello!  I'm Natalie.  I'm from Kansas, born and raised, and forever proud to be a Jayhawk.  Other important things include my love for my longtime boyfriend, my fluffy puppies, and, of course, all things book and reading related.

When and why did you become a book blogger?

I became a book blogger in October 2012, when I rediscovered a blog I created a couple of years ago and then promptly abandoned.  I decided to try again because in the months leading up to the release of Quintana of Charyn I started really talking to people on Goodreads.  I loved getting the chance to talk books with people who are as nutty about them as I am, and I knew that starting a blog would be a way to keep the conversation going and to force myself to write actual reviews instead of just giving star ratings. (!)

How did you come up with the name of your blog?

I went for simple.  I am Natalie, and I read books.  Ha!

What is your favorite thing about blogging?

My favorite thing has definitely been the community aspect.  I've gotten to know so many people whose opinions I respect and trust (That includes you, Christine!).  And through all my new book friends I've discovered tons of new books to read.  Always a plus!

What do you find the hardest about blogging?

The hardest part is definitely keeping a regular posting schedule.  With work and holidays and other various commitments, I haven't been able to post as much as I want to.  New Year's Resolution, anyone?

Does your blog participate in any weekly features and if so which is your favorite?

Right now I try to participate in Top Ten Tuesday and Waiting on Wednesday every week, with varying degrees of success.  I'm hoping to add some more features in 2013!

What has been your favorite moment since you became a book blogger? Which review, interview or giveaway have you been most proud of?

Eep!  It's been very exciting.  And the review I'm most proud of is probably my review of Quintana of Charyn.  It's the review that started this whole thing, and it definitely has a special place in my heart.

What kind of genres do you enjoy reading and reviewing the most?

I read YA more than anything, and within YA I tend to gravitate toward contemporary novels the most.  I love it when books feel so real that I feel like I could slip into the pages and be in that world.

What is your favorite individual book or series? What makes you love it so much?

Gah, this is such a hard question!  Usually my standard answer is Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta, but lately I've had a soft spot for Good Oil by Laura Buzo.  I gave it as a gift to two of my best friends for Christmas this year because I love it so much.  Serious, I just want to hug these books.  Also, there must be something in the water down under, because if I were to add to this list, it would definitely include more Aussie authors.

Who is your favorite fictional male character, why and from what book or series are they from?

Oh man.  Thomas Mackee, hands down. (From  Saving Francesca and The Piper's Son.)  My fellow Melina Marchetta fans will understand me on this one.  Thomas reminds me of the boys I hung out with in high school.  He's loud, most of the time he thinks he's funnier than he really is, and he can be kind of a dick.  But he's loyal to his friends and he's there when you really need him.  Major major swoon.

Who is your favorite fictional female character, why and from what book or series are they from?

I feel a little cliche saying this, but I have to go with Katniss from The Hunger Games.  I love that while yes she is a badass and yes she does have some romantic complications, first and foremost she loves her family and those who become like family to her.  She's not someone trying to be a hero.  She becomes one on accident and then does the best she can from there.  Katniss is my girl.

Who are your favorite three authors and why?

Melina Marchetta, because she is the Queen of YA and everything she writes is wonderful and beautiful and all other flowery and fangirling adjectives you can think of. 

John Green, because of the feeling I got when I finished Paper Towns and I realized just what he'd done with that novel.  Well done, John. Well done.

Gayle Forman, because of If I Stay.

If you could turn one book or series into films, what would you pick and who would you cast as the main characters?

Another difficult one, because some books just wouldn't translate into film.  That being said, I'd love to see Good Oil as a film.  Growing up and first crushes and finding your place in life are all universal themes, and I feel like if they did it right, it would be warm fuzzies all over the place.  Dream cast?  No idea.  I'll leave that up to the experts.

What books are you most looking forward to in 2013?

So many!  Shades of Earth, Through the Ever Night, Out of the Easy, and many many more that I don't want to type right now.

Paper books or ebooks?

Paper books, definitely, but I do loooooove taking my Kindle on vacation and knowing that I have a whole library in my purse.  Very satisfying.

Where is your favorite place to read?

Snuggled up in blankets on the couch or a chair.

Milk chocolate, white chocolate or dark chocolate?

It used to be milk, but lately I've come to appreciate dark chocolate.  Especially with mint flavored things as well.

Coffee, hot tea or hot chocolate?

Hot chocolate.

Would you like to give any other details about yourself? How can others find you around the web? Such as Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, etc...

Blog: http://nataliereadsbooks.blogspot.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/natalieM7
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/5460434-natalie
Tumblr: http://life-has-no-opposite.tumblr.com

1 comment:

  1. Hello, I nominated you for the One Lovely Blog Award.
    to see my post go here http://kimberlysnovelnotes.blogspot.com/2013/01/one-lovely-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you have to say! I read and try to respond to every single comment I receive. Knowing there are people out there reading is what makes this all worth it... : )