Wednesday 17 July 2013

Review: Wedding Night


Lottie just knows that her boyfriend is going to propose during lunch at one of London’s fanciest restaurants. But when his big question involves a trip abroad, not a trip down the aisle, she’s completely crushed. So when Ben, an old flame, calls her out of the blue and reminds Lottie of their pact to get married if they were both still single at thirty, she jumps at the chance. No formal dates—just a quick march to the altar and a honeymoon on Ikonos, the sun-drenched Greek island where they first met years ago.

Their family and friends are horrified. Fliss, Lottie’s older sister, knows that Lottie can be impulsive—but surely this is her worst decision yet. And Ben’s colleague Lorcan fears that this hasty marriage will ruin his friend’s career. To keep Lottie and Ben from making a terrible mistake, Fliss concocts an elaborate scheme to sabotage their wedding night. As she and Lorcan jet off to Ikonos in pursuit, Lottie and Ben are in for a honeymoon to remember, for better . . . or worse.

Title: Wedding Night
Author: Sophie Kinsella | Facebook | Goodreads | Website
Publication Date: April 23 2013
Publisher: Bantam Press
Length: Paperback 368 pages / Audiobook 13 hours 5 minutes
Add it to your TBR PileGoodreads
Buy ItAmazon US | Amazon UK | Audible

Source: Purchased (Audiobook via Audible)
Narrated by: Finty Williams and Beth Chalmers
Cover Love: I think this is a quite cute cover, this is the UK version and my favirote.
Point of View: Alternating 1st person between both Lottie and Fliss

My Rating: 4 Stars

First things first, I absolutely adored Wedding Night. There are so many mixed reviews about this book, and I will be honest to say I was hesitant to start it because of the negative reviews I had read. I saw so many references to how this was nothing like Kinsella's previous books, how they couldn't stand one or both of the characters, and was just overall disappointed.

I don't understand these negative reviews at all.  Was this different than previous Kinsella books?  Yes.  But that in no way made it rubbish.  I loved the alternating point of view, and I ended up loving both Lottie and Fliss.  I laughed out loud so many times, and the Kinsella storytelling was still quite evident.

“If Muhammad won't come to the mountain, the mountain has to cancel all his plans and get on a plane.”

Lottie. She was so adorable.  She wanted so much to be married to Richard and when that went down the drain she jumped at the chance to marry Ben, even though they had not seen each other for ages.  I didn't take offence to the traumas she had to go through on her honeymoon at the hands of her sister Fliss.  I thought they were quite funny.  Even though I knew she was feeling miserable, we all knew it was going to work out in the end.

“My great moment of triumph ... It's all turned to dust. I wasn't the heroine of the hour. I was the thoughtless, stupid villain.”

Fliss.  I think because Lottie's name appears first in the synopsis, a lot of people assume that this is her story.  I also think that is why a lot of people say they didn't like Fliss, because she took up a lot of the story.  I don't think this is Lottie's story at all.  This is a moment in both of their lives where one event has turned into a life changing moment for them both.  I loved Fliss.  Were the actions that she took to prevent Lottie and Ben from 'putting the sausage in the cupcake' extreme?  Absolutely yes.. but they were hilarious.  I can't even caught how many times I laughed out loud.  And seeing as how I listened to the audiobook, and a lot of times I was at lunch at work... I had quite a few people looking my way.

“You can't switch sides!" I glare at him in fury.

"I was never on your side," retorts Lorcan. "Your side is the nutty side.”

I also loved the side characters, Richard and Lorcan.  I had to warm up to Richard at first, but once I saw how much he truly cared for Lottie it was easy to love him.  And Lorcan?  I fell in love with him.  His own story touched my heart, and I adored his interactions with Noah, Fliss' son.  It was a joy to watch him and Fliss move closer together as the story went on.  Ben was just a tool for most of the book, and I think my dislike for him is what helped me find the tormented honeymoon so darn funny.

I would strongly recommend this book to any Chick Lit fan, as mentioned before it is different from other Kinsella books but it is still really great.  You will laugh, that is guaranteed.

“You fall in and out of love, but when you really love someone...it's forever.”

This is my first review for an audiobook version.  I used to be a member of Audible years ago when I had to commute a fair distance to work.  Now that I no longer have that commute I never really found myself with much time to listen to them.  But I decided that when I was doing such things as cleaning, showering and sometimes at lunch at work, instead of listening to music it would be better to be 'reading' a book.

So, I am a proud renewed member of Audible and will always have one audiobook on the go, on the side of my normal Kindle reading.  It took me about three weeks to get through these 13 hours, but the story flowed nicely and I never found myself lost when I went to restart my listening.  I loved the narrators Finty Williams and Beth Chalmers.  They were easy to listen to and I enjoyed the way they altered their voice when speaking for a male character.  So as far as the audible version is concerned, I give two big thumbs up.

MORE QUOTES FROM WEDDING NIGHT

3 comments:

  1. I thought this book was really fun. I'm almost always a fan of multiple narrators and liked both sisters. I really liked both Lorcan and Richard, too. I love Sophie Kinsella (for the most part. I couldn't get through that last shopaholic book) and thought it was pretty much classic Kinsella. It has that same witty, bubbly writing that all her books have. Great review!
    -Natalie @Natflix&Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to read this soon too! :)
    Thank you for a great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard some mixed reviews of this book as well, but I just can't resist a Sophie Kinsella chick-lit! I'm really interested to see why this one is so different from her previous books and how Kinsella tackles alternating POVs.

    Thanks for the review, Christine!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you have to say! I read and try to respond to every single comment I receive. Knowing there are people out there reading is what makes this all worth it... : )