Tuesday 9 July 2013

Top Ten Tuesday #21


Hosted by Broke and The Bookish


This Week's Topic is:

Top Ten Best/Worst Movie Adaptations


I would like to start out by saying that I will ALWAYS think the book is better than the movie.  Books are much longer, which allow much more of a story to be told.  However, that is not to say that there are not still some worthy candidates for films which were good in their own right.



Loved the book.  Loved the movie.

I think they did a very good job in bringing into the movie what they could under the time constraints.  I adored the casting, I think that played a big part in it being such a hit. I am looking forward to Catching Fire as it was my favorite book in the series.  However, I am scared to death for the adaptation of Mockingjay.  It was my least favorite book, and they are making it into two movies? *sigh*  I'm hoping this means they will change a ton of stuff and make it better, cause book three just wasn't my favorite.







Loved the book.  Liked the movie.

I was actually surprised at how much I loved The Host as a book.  I had been wanting to read it, but when I saw a movie was being made I wanted to wait until a bit closer to it's release.  The book is just amazing, the movie was good.  It didn't blow me away, but I thought they did an okay job.







Loved the book.  Loved the movie.

The book was amazing, exceeded all of my expectations.  The movie was as cheesy as could be, and that is exactly what I loved about it.  I fell in love with R in the book and I think he was portrayed perfectly in the movie.







Loved the book.  Hated the movie.

Okay, maybe hated is too strong a word.  They just changed SO much from the book.  The characters were engaging and believable in the book.  Honestly, if you have read it and watched it you will know how much they changed.  If it didn't have the same name, I really don't know if I could have watched it and actually said the book it was made from.  It is just that different.  I know there are things that have to be changed, but EVERYTHING was changed.  EVERYTHING.







Loved the book.  Loved the movie.

Now, this is an example where EVERYTHING was pretty much still changed but they did a great job even despite the changes.  I loved this book, there were times I actually sat there thinking 'Dude, this could have happened...' Even though we all know it couldn't have.  I was so nervous about the movie, and again yes everything is changed but I still really enjoyed the movie in it's own right.







Loved the book.  Hated the movie.

The Shopaholic series is one of my all time favorites.  Was excited when they announced a movie, but man did it fall way off the mark.  Becky is one of the funniest female characters...  ever.  To me, in the movie she just came across as more stuck up and shallow than the real book Becky.







Loved the book.  Liked the movie.

Dan Brown is a genius.  I always feel so smart after I finish reading one of his books.  Although, I have to say it takes me forever to read them because I am always stopping to Google a city, person, painting or sculpture that he is talking about.  I love all his books, the movies are so-so.  I don't love them and I don't hate them.  Tom Hanks is just now how I picture Robert...







Loved the book.  Loved the movie.

The Harry Potter books will always go down in history as some of the best ever.  However, I think the movies have given the books a run for their money.  As I mentioned at the top, I will always love the book more.  But, I think they did an amazing job with this movie, and the movies for the rest of the series.







Liked the book.  Loved the movie.

Okay, maybe I lied... If there was ever a time I thought the movie was better it would be The Princess Bride.  Don't get me wrong, I liked the book.  But it was in places a bit slow for me... The movie is just non-stop action, adventure and greatness.  It will forever be a classic.







Liked the book.  Hated the movie.

This is another prime example of them changing EVERYTHING.  In this case they changed everything for the worse.  I really enjoyed the book, I liked it being told from Ethan's perspective.  I liked the characters overall and enjoyed the story.  The movie?  I hated pretty much everything about it. It was cliché, and to be honest... I have friends who saw the movie before reading the book.  And now, because of the movie they have no interest in reading the book.  It's a shame really.



So there you go... this weeks Top Ten! What is yours?

Feel free to leave your links below so that I can check them out and if you are a new follower be sure to let me know so that I can come and check out your blog in return!

4 comments:

  1. I REALLY want to see Warm Bodies. I just read the book about two months ago, so it's on my list of movies to see now!

    TTT @ Krista's Dust Jacket

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the Silver Linings Playbook movie, but I couldn't believe how much they changed. It was seriously unrecognizable. His dad was such an asshat in the book. I hated him. Who was this loveable character Robert DeNiro played? I agree that the Shopaholic movie was a terrible adaptation. I love The Princess Bride movie, but have never read the book. Great list!
    Natflix&Books' TTT

    ReplyDelete
  3. My DVD of The Host shipped this morning! I'm super excited, even though I thought the previews looked terrible. It's one of my favorite books so I must watch it!

    I totally agree about The Princess Bride!

    Here's Mine @ Pinkindle Reads & Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Creatures was a miss for me too. I can't believe I forgot about the Shopaholic adaptation- definitely a let down.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you have to say! I read and try to respond to every single comment I receive. Knowing there are people out there reading is what makes this all worth it... : )