Friday 6 September 2013

Review: Price of a Kiss


I don't care what my cousin says; I am not the queen of impossible relationships. I mean, just because my last boyfriend tried to kill me and left a bit of a scar on my neck, then forced me to move across the country and legally change my name to Reese Randall to escape him, does not mean-

Oh, who am I kidding? For a freshman in college, I have to have the worst dating track record ever.

It's no wonder love is the last thing on my mind when Mason Lowe enters my life. But the chemistry between us is like bam! Our connection defies logic. And he's just so freaking hot. Being around him makes me feel more alive than I've ever felt before. I even like bickering with him. He could be my soul mate...except for one teeny tiny glitch.

He's a gigolo.

Boy, do I know how to pick them.

Title: Price of a Kiss
Author: Linda Kage | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads | Website
Publication Date: August 14 2013
Publisher: Self-Published
Length: 373 Pages
Add it to your TBR PileGoodreads
Buy ItAmazon US | Amazon UK

Source: Purchased (Kindle Edition)
Cover Love: Perfect, love the colors.
Point of View: 1st person, following Reese

My Rating: 5 Stars

Holy prologue Batman.  Never before has a prologue done such an amazing job of sucking me right into the story.  There was absolutely no way that I was not continuing with this book after THAT beginning.

“Brace yourself for this one, ladies: He had a tattoo.  I know.  I almost spontaneously combusted right then and there.”

Mason.  Holy swoon.  This guy is book boyfriend gold.  I mean that is of course if you are willing to put aside the fact that he sells his body for cash... but other than that, he is perfect.  Your heart will break as you learn more about why it is he has gotten into this profession.  He now feels that he is well and truly stuck.  Honestly, I just wanted to give him a big hug.

“You’re the warm sun that shines when everything else is dark,” he went on, lifting his hands to rest them on the wall on either side of my face.  “A smile and a hug in a roomful of disapproval.  You’re…” Wincing, he pressed his forehead against mine. “You’re everything.”

Reese.  Loved her.  It is rare that I fall completely in love with a female narrator.  But I can say without a doubt that I love Reese.  She made me laugh so many times, I lost count.  I loved being in her head.  Her thoughts about Mason had me laughing till I cried.  I also respect the way she handled her friendship with Mason at the start.  She treated him like he deserved to be treated, like a human being.  She never belittled him or made him feel inferior.  I loved her even more for that.

“Every woman treats me that way, Reese.  I'm not a person to them . I'm just… a good time or something vile to be avoided at all costs.  And then you can along and you… you hugged me.  You are the first person who sees me, Mason, not sex for sale.”

Sadly, this isn't to say I loved every character.  Reese's friend and cousin Eva, I disliked her so much.  In fact, dislike is actually a little too nice of a phrase.  I hated her.  And in my opinion she never redeemed herself for her actions and comments made to and about Mason.  She showed no respect, and had no loyalty either in friendship or family toward Reese in my opinion.  Just didn't care for her at all.

“Eva was right.  I could never deserve you.  You’re too good for me.  You’re out of my reach.  You’re…you’re Reese Randall.”

“You’re wrong.  I’m not.” I wasn’t really Reese Randall, and I certainly wasn’t out of his reach. “All you have to do is stretch out your hand, Mason.” Pressing my palm against my chest, I whispered, “I’m right here.”

And then there is also heartbreak.  I refuse to post spoilers, but I think I am okay to say that there is one part in this book that absolutely broke me.  Honestly. Broke. Me.  I cried my eyes out.  I had to put my Kindle down, sat there with my hand covering my mouth and I was shaking my head no.  I just could not believe what I was reading.  I was in shock.  I was angry.  I was devastated.  *sigh*

Honestly, I can not recommend Price of a Kiss more.  I swear if you just start it you will see right off the bat what I am talking about with the prologue.  You will be sucked in, and you will not be able to put it down.  You will instantly fall in love with both Reese and Mason, you will more than likely cry, you will most definitely laugh and swoon.

“If you love someone enough, you can make them invincible.  Like your feelings for them are so strong they work as a magical shield, protecting them from all harm and pain.”

MORE QUOTES FROM PRICE OF A KISS

2 comments:

  1. Hey girl! I nominated your blog for a Liebster Award! Check it out and be sure to answer my Q's for you! :) http://theindigoquill.blogspot.com/2013/09/we-were-nominated-for-2-liebster-awards.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant review Christine! And I am definitely adding this to my list now because it does sound amazing ;) Glad you enjoyed it :D

    Thanks for sharing this!
    xoxo, Mariam @Book-A-Holic

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you have to say! I read and try to respond to every single comment I receive. Knowing there are people out there reading is what makes this all worth it... : )